Welcome to the 2018 Shooter Short Story Competition, the third year of our contest that spotlights notable new literary talent, with cash prizes and highlighted publication both in the pages of Shooter and online. We have doubled our prize pot this year to £600, and now offer a discounted entry fee for multiple stories – so get submitting!
Regular submissions to the magazine are usually confined to a particular theme, but the competition offers a chance to write about whatever compels you, in any style, to any length up to 5,000 words. We’re looking for imaginative, absorbing and beautifully written stories that bring characters to life and elicit an emotional response from the reader. In short, well written tales that appeal to both the head and the heart.
In return for the entry fee, ALL ENTRANTS will receive an e-copy of Shooter’s summer 2018 issue, which will feature the winning story.
- The winner of the 2018 Shooter Short Story Competition will receive £500, publication in the summer issue and on the website, and promotion on Shooter’s social media.
- The runner-up will receive £100, publication on Shooter’s website, and promotion on social media.
- All entrants will receive an e-copy of Shooter’s summer issue.
- Stories may be any theme or genre, and any length up to 5,000 words.
- The competition is open to entries through April 15th, 2018.
- All proceeds from the entry fee of £7 (or £10 for two stories) go toward prizes, contributor payments and Shooter’s production costs, supporting our mission to promote the best new writing and encourage the principle of paying writers for their work.
To enter, please email your story (as a doc, docx, or pdf file) to email@example.com by the deadline of April 15th, 2018. Include your name, title of story and word count in the body of the email, with no identifying information on the story itself. Multiple entries may be submitted via a single email. The winning writers will be notified in June and a public announcement will be made soon thereafter. Please follow Shooter’s website or Facebook/Twitter to stay posted.
Entry fees can be paid via the following links (card payments are accepted in addition to PayPal):
Shooter holds a poetry competition during the second half of the year, with the winning entry to be published in the winter issue. Details for poets will be announced in August 2018.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We look forward to reading your entries – good luck!