Welcome to the 2017 Shooter Poetry Competition. Along with Shooter’s Short Story Competition, held in the first half of the year, our contests offer an additional means to spotlight literary excellence, with cash prizes and highlighted publication both in the pages of the magazine and online.
General submissions for each issue are usually confined to a particular theme, but Shooter’s Poetry Competition offers a chance to write about whatever most compels you, in any style. We’re looking for sharply observed poetry with strong ideas and imaginative use of language: in short, arresting poems that appeal to both the head and the heart.
In return for the £3 entry fee, ALL ENTRANTS will receive an e-copy of Shooter’s winter 2018 issue, which will feature the winning poem.
- The winner of the 2017 Shooter Poetry Competition will receive £100, publication in the winter issue and on the website, and promotion on Shooter’s social media.
- The runner-up will receive £30, publication on Shooter’s website, and promotion on social media.
- All entrants will receive an e-copy of Shooter’s winter issue.
- Poems may be any theme or style, up to 125 lines long.
- The competition is open to entries through November 19th, 2017.
- All proceeds from entry fees go toward prizes, contributor payments and Shooter’s production costs, supporting our mission to promote the best new writing and encourage the principle of paying writers for their work.
To enter, please email your poem(s) in a doc/docx/rtf/pdf attachment to email@example.com by the deadline of November 19th, 2017. Include your name and title of poem(s) in the body of the email, with no authorial information on the attached document. Multiple entries are accepted but please pay one entry fee per poem (there is a discounted rate of £8 for three poems).
Entry fees can be paid via the following links (card payments are accepted in addition to PayPal):
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. We look forward to reading your poems – good luck!