Shooter’s editor, Melanie White, leads eight-week short story courses throughout the academic year. These are conducted online, via email and Facebook, with the aim of helping emerging writers to develop their craft and complete a polished short story by the end of the course. They are best suited to aspiring fiction writers who are looking to hone their skills and publish their work.
- A weekly class via email including an introduction to the topic (course outline below), readings and exercises. Classes are designed to deepen understanding of the mechanics of short fiction, cultivate creative thought, and help craft a finished piece of writing by the end of the course.
- A private Facebook group where participants can discuss class topics and readings, share weekly writing exercises, and connect with fellow writers
- One-to-one guidance from the course leader each week in response to questions and work-in-progress
- Optional feedback on your completed short story following the end of the course
- The best stories to emerge from each course will be considered for publication in Shooter Literary Magazine.
Week 1 – What makes a (great) short story
Week 2 – Genre: master the rules or break them?
Week 3 – Structure, then style
Week 4 – On (not) losing the plot
Week 5 – Character, from the inside out
Week 6 – White space: Dialogue and subtext
Week 7 – Rewriting, rewriting, rewriting
Week 8 – To publication and beyond!
Dates and availability for the 2020/2021 academic year:
October 9 – November 27 (ENROLMENT CLOSED)
January 8 – February 26 (3/20 places filled)
March 5 – April 23 (0/20 places filled)
April 30 – June 18 (0/20 places filled)
Participation costs £120 without feedback or £145 with feedback. To confirm your place, please email Melanie White at email@example.com with your preferred course dates and book via the PayPal links below.